The Rutgers Esports Center was established in 2020 as the physical home of Rutgers’ online gaming community. It is a place where gamers from around Rutgers University – both competitive and casual – can come together.
The Rutgers Esports Center serves as the home of the Rutgers Esports Competitive Clubs. The Rutgers Esports group was founded in 2014 by a small group of gaming club leaders at Rutgers University. Today, they have over 50 esports officers, approximately 100 competitive members, 4,000 general members and 11 competitive teams.
Our mission is to create opportunities for student-gamers to acquire crucial academic, social, and psychological skills through partaking in the Esports Center services, programming, and community.
We believe that students are best suited to develop and grow when they are given the opportunity to learn through the lens of their passions. We aim to improve the student experience, enhance academic learning opportunities, and create an area of distinction for the University through creating a physical home in which to foster the growth of the Rutgers gaming community.
Rutgers Esports Center Rules
In addition to all rules outlined in the University Code of Student Conduct, the following regulations have been set for all guests of the Esports Center:
- All Players Are Welcome.
- Harassment based on any aspect of a person’s identity or any other behavior meant to create an intolerable environment such as bullying, threats of violence, stalking or other forms of intimidation are not permitted.
- Play Fair.
- Cheating, match fixing, or any other activity meant to undermine the competitive integrity of the games and competitions occurring within the Esports Center are not permitted.
- Keep It Clean.
- No guest food or drink allowed within the Esports Center except for a sealable water bottle. (No drinking water while seated at a gaming station!)
- No excessive use of profane or otherwise offensive language.
- Shower, use deodorant, and keep your noise level low so as not to negatively impact the gaming experience of your neighbor.
- Protect Your Information
- Always log out of your station. The Esports Center is not responsible for compromised accounts.
- Do not share your login information with any other guest.
- Do not download, share, or view illicit content or material on Esports Center equipment.
- Always Ask a Staff Person before you:
- Plug in personal peripherals or USB devices without supervision.
- Download a game or program from your own library without verification.