The staff -students and professionals- at the Student Centers belief that working at the Centers is a privilege and an opportunity to make a difference. In addition to earning money and work on campus (thus avoiding driving to off campus locations), students get to work in some of the most popular places on campus, develop personal and professional leadership and management skills, and have an opportunity to proudly serve the Rutgers community. Working at the Centers is challenging and rewarding.
The Student Centers’ student employment program allows for learning opportunities in the following areas:
- Practical Competence – On the job experience, knowledge, and skills, which are transferable to real life experiences and prepare students to succeed post-graduation in the professional world.
- Social Development (previously Interpersonal Development) – Developing the skills necessary to communicate, engage and interact with others, both individually and in groups.
- Leadership – Developing the skills necessary to lead and empower others to accomplish common tasks, objectives or goals.
- Problem Solving and Decision Making – Ability to use information to create new insights and generate problem-solving strategies to improve customer service delivery, work methods, and team effectiveness.
- Self-Awareness – Developing an understanding of personal abilities, values, communication and leadership styles, and reconciling them with department goals, values, and objectives.
Currently the Centers student staff positions are full.
Only applications for the Technical Staff are still being accepted.
Technical Crew staff is responsible for setting up and operating theatrical lighting, video equipment and software, and sound equipment for a variety of events on campus. Events include fashion and variety shows, lectures, movies, conferences, live streaming events, and private functions such as Bar and Bat Mitzvah’s.
The Technical staff is also responsible for maintenance and clean-up or equipment and providing customer service during the event. Students working on this position will gain experience in sound engineering, live sound mixing, video production, lighting, event management, and event technical support.
Special Job Qualifications
Preferred previous sound reinforcement, video production, and/or lighting experience. Guest relations skills, positive personality, good judgment, proactive, attention to detail, punctuality, good oral and, ability to climb a ladder and lift at least 30lbs and pull up to 100 lbs.